Line of Fire Training
In attempt to remain vigilant about safety concerns in our high-risk industry, AEC has undergone a specialized hazard awareness training to stay committed to getting our team home safely every day. In this training we focused on Line of Fire, a military phrase which has evolved in our industry to mean any situation where a person is in the path of direct harm. The training outlined six questions every on-site team member needs to ask themselves while completing their duties to help identify risk:
- Are you checking equipment and tools to ensure they are free from Line of Fire hazards?
- What could move/shift unexpectedly due to outside force?
- What would the trajectory of that object be?
- Have you completed training with that tool?
- Are you identifying and controlling all Line of Fire hazards in your job plan?
- Do you keep your body out of the potential Line of Fire?
- Can you see your hands and feet?
- Is there any way an extremity can get trapped/pinched?
- can you be seen by others?
- Are appropriate barricades up to protect the workforce?
- Are you aware of your exposure level?
- What’s happening around you?
- What could happen next?
- Would you stop work if the situation changes to reassess risk? Would you seek a second opinion?
- Do you self-check Line of Fire hazards to make sure they don’t become routine and neglected?